Tax Credits for Summer Day Camp? You Might Qualify!

Under some circumstances, sending your child to summer day camp might qualify you for a tax credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses.

Here are some of the key bits of information you need to know:

  • Children who attend the camp must be under 13 years of age.
  • Both parents must be working, or looking for work (with some rare exceptions).
  • The credit is not for the full cost of the camp care, but ranges from 20-35% of the cost depending upon your income.
  • There is a maximum yearly dollar amount of $3000 for one child, or $6000 for two or more children.
  • Only day camps qualify, not overnight camps.
  • You must file a form 1040 or 1040A (not a 1040EZ) and additional forms (at least Form 2441) are also required.
  • You must identify the care provider (camp) on the forms, including name, address and taxpayer identification number.
  • If you are married, you must be filing a joint tax return, not separate returns.

Please keep in mind that we know a fair bit about summer camps, but are NOT tax experts.   There are additional restrictions to this tax credit, so read  IRS publication 503 carefully and/or consult your tax advisor before claiming the tax credit.

Reference Links:



About ActivityHero

I am blogging on all things summer camp.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s